Monday, September 17, 2012

Northshore Marathon-Dulth, MN

The word to describe this race-FAST.  We were clocked by the motorcycle at one point, on flat ground, cruising at 33+mph, that's over 50km per hr!   much of the race was like that too... The first fliar was oh, say about 100m into the race, once that came back, the second was about 1/4 mile later.   That's the way the race went until Wesley and Luis-Carlos got away at mile 12.   a few of us, Julian, Matt Walther, Ty Fidler, Steffen Howard, Jesse Pauley, and myself (there were a few others-cant remember) tried to catch, but at that point, the 12 leaders had gotten too far away.    from mile 12 to 24, it was fast, really fast... a few times it went from 30mph+ down to about 5mph, but once it got moving again.. back to 30+ QUICK!   I will say, there was only a few that actually led and put some work in.. most of the 18+ skaters in the pack didn't do any work, that was disappointing...

Once we got on the freeway, that's about 5-6 miles from the finish, the pack stayed at a good fast pace, everyone watching to see who would make a move. one we were about 2 miles away, a 15 year old, Christopher made his move... and no one jumped on..  I was shocked.. I was in a bit of pain, so if I went to catch him, I would have nothing at the end.  1.5 miles to go, I realize we are racing for 4th, so I try to get my legs as ready as I could.. alot of skaters were jocking for a position at the front of the pack, but I tried to stay up in the top 5.   Once we start up the ramp, I knew it was about 1 mile to go.. 1600 meters and we are done!  Juan Toban went!  He had such acceleration no one could go with him, he was after that 3rd place and Chris!    At the top, that's where it started to get a little crazy, feet everywhere, skaters trying to get to the front, a hand here, a hip there, I got shuffled to about 8-10th and knew I had to move up, so on the downhill I pushed it a bit to move up a few spots, made it around the first corner, and the people in front of me split, 5 or 6 skaters across the whole road.  Was thinking, ok, I guess ill stick it out here and try to pick a spot off at the end, Im stuck!?!    well, once about halfway down the stretch-500m to go, gaps opened up, I saw two, one big one to the outside with Rob Bell, and a small one on the inside.. Hmm... outside is a longer distance, and legs are screaming... Inside it is!!!  Took a few steps inside, got around a skater or two, corner came up and had to go back to the middle of the track as I was right behind Andres Guzman, cant move up if he is in front right?   3(ish) skaters right around me,  last 150m, a straight shot to the finish... Sooo... hips dropped, head down and go... I saw my skates moving ahead of everyone, saw the line, and DONE!  stood up, won the field sprint... its been awhile since Ive done that!       Looked at the clock, 1:04 marathon.. 5th place... WOW.   

Amazing race, fun, no drama or anything during the race, a little teaming(that's how 1-2nd got away), but that's racing, it was great!   

I really enjoyed the event this year, and hope to get in a little better shape for next year...

Thanks for reading, write soon, God bless!

No comments: